Lavender is one of those ingredients that I always get because it sounds so tasty and exotic, but then never know what to do with it. It smells like summer, it looks gorgeous, and it has a soft, romantic feel to it.
Maybe that’s what makes this strawberry lavender limeade just so perfect.
I came up with it the other day when I was totally frustrated that spring has yet to hit and I was craving a bit of warm weather. This really hit the spot!
It’s a twist on a the classic limeade that’s both playful and a little whimsical. The tartness of the lime and the sweetness of the strawberry marry so well with that earthy, floral lavender. And look at that color… I mean, doesn’t it pop?! It’s begging to be put on a tablescape or picnic blanket.
It has some mood-boosting properties too:
- Strawberries – They reduce inflammation in the body and are mood-elevators which help protect your brain
- Lime – Lime juice helps the nervous system and helps improve complexion. A natural antioxidant, it flushes toxins from blood and organs.
- Lavender – Famous for it’s stress-reducing properties, lavender also enhances sleep and helps the nervous system.
The awesome thing about this drink is that it goes with almost everything, it’s super refreshing, and it lasts seemingly forever. Plus the recipe is flexible enough that should it be just slightly too tart, too sweet, or too strong, an extra splash of water and/or a few ice cubes is all it takes to tweak it to your taste buds.
I will say that the longer you keep this and the longer the strawberries infuse with the water, the stronger this becomes. This isn’t bad, it’s just something to be aware of. Honestly, I made enough of this to fill a pitcher, served three kids and myself, then refilled the pitcher with water and let it sit in the fridge overnight. When I served it the next morning with breakfast, the flavor was still just as gorgeous as it was the night before.
What are you waiting for? Make this gorgeous drink!
- Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried lavender buds
- 5-6 cups of water (more if desired)
- 1/2-1 cup lime juice
- Lavender simple syrup (recipe below)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- To make the simple syrup:
- Combine 1 cup of water, 1 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons lavender buds in a small saucepan, bring to a boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to medium and boil 10 minutes. Remove from heat, strain liquid and discard lavender buds. Cool simple syrup.
- To make the limeade:
- Combine 5 cups of water with limeade (for less tart limeade, use only 1/2 cup, but I suggest 1 cup) and all the simple syrup. Add frozen strawberries, stir, and taste. If too sweet or too tart, add additional water.
- Serve immediately.
- * Note - As the strawberries infuse into the water, the taste will become stronger. Cut the limeade with more water if needed to adjust the taste if needed.